Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fancy me some Mac 'n Cheese

Remember those good ol' days when we use to come home to the delicious smell of mac n' cheese?
Well ok, maybe not...I know I didn't, mac n' cheese is not my thing. But over the years I've learned to appreciate it, I just can't stand the taste of instant mac n' cheese. So here's a lil recipe of some fresh home made mac n' cheese.

What you'll need:
1 box of pasta(8-10oz.)(pick whatever type you like: farfelle, linguini, pinwheel, screw,elbow, shells etc.)
1 bag of shredded cheese( mix or just cheddar, I want it to be a bit more rich so I'll use mix)
1 rice cooker
1 tbsp. of butter
1-2 tbsp. flour(depending on how thick you want the sauce to be. I'll use 1tbsp since I want it to be a bit runny) 
1 1/2 c. of milk
1-2 slice of bacon(dice/shred it)
1 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Prepare(pasta):
In the rice cooker fill up with water, but leave 2-2 1/2 inch of space. Press cook and let water boil then add the pasta in. Cook pasta for 8-12 minutes and check if pasta is done. Once the pasta is done transfer to a container and set aside. 

Prepare:
Press cook and add about a tbsp. of water then add bacon to cook. Once the bacon is cooked add the pasta. Stir. Add butter and mix well. Add flour and stir. Once the ingredients are incorporated add garlic power, onion powder, salt, and cheese. Mix well till the pasta is evenly coated. Now slowly mix in the milk and let it simmer(keep warm) till it reaches the desired consistency. Taste and make any adjustments and it is ready to serve! 

Tip: slowly add in salt and powders to desired taste

Hope you enjoyed this recipe, until another blog post.

Viv xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment